Saturday 19 June – Saturday 26 June
CALL FOR ARTISTS
After the huge success of SAW 09 we are all set for SAW 2010!
How to get involved
You must submit the Statement of Interest Form.
Forms are available via email, downloaded here or by post, and can be copied if planning to do more than one project.
or send a large SAE (40p) to: The Place Activity Centre, 2a Melrose Street, Sherwood, Nottingham, NG5 2JP: 0115-985 6777
What is Sherwood Art Week?
SAW is a week of art events and exhibitions located in and around the heart of Sherwood. We aim to celebrate the creativity of people in Sherwood and encourage a sense of community by providing opportunities to showcase local artists’ work and give people a chance to make their own art.
Features of the Art Week include Art in shop windows, the Open Air Craft Fair, Open Studios, Exhibitions, Workshops & Demonstrations, Talks & Film, Music and opportunities for involvement by local children.
The event is keenly supported by local businesses, residents and the Neighbourhood Management Team for Sherwood & Mapperley and is organised entirely by volunteers who are artists and local supporters. Each organisation and business involved provides space for SAW events free of charge. Contributions from local businesses, Artist fees and grants help to fund the event.
In 2009 over 70 businesses gave up window space to Artists and ten other venues hosted exhibitions of artists work. SAW was publicised widely throughout Nottinghamshire via City and County mailings, in free papers and magazines, and on radio and TV.
What to do next…
• Social Gathering @The Robin Hood 7.30pm – 9.00pm
Come along on and meet other artists, meet the Teams, schmooze and find out more about the event. As there are more artists wanting to be involved this year we plan to have two meetings.
Monday January 25th.
Wednesday January 27th
Please tell us which is your preferred date & we will confirm ASAP which night to attend.
• Statement of Interest
Submit the Form with images of the type of work you do that you might show at this event (by post or online). You can bring these with you on to the Socials or send in by no later than Monday 8th February 2010. *
The entry fee is £10 and will be payable once a space has been allocated to you.
• Run a workshop
We would like to run a range of workshops during the week and are looking for artists on a voluntary basis - cost of materials will be covered. If available please give a description of what you can do on the Form, for what age, maximum number of people, and days available.
• Join a Team
We would like you to help one of the Teams who are co-ordinating the various SAW Projects (exhibitions, art in shops, workshops, talks, publicity, etc). Any time you can give will be welcome and lighten the load for others.
You will be expected to help with promotion and publicity distribution to your personal contacts and local area.
*The Place Activity Centre and Sherwood Community Centre will arrange a level of fee with their members who want to display their artwork or demonstrate their craft skills on their premises. Members who want to exhibit in other venues in Sherwood or a shop window must provide the Statement of Interest Form. Fees are part of the revenue that pays for publicity and marketing, expenses and technical costs, and entitles the artist to sell work without paying commission.
Who can apply
• SAW is a community event and priority will be given to artists local to the area, but artists within the County will be considered.
• All entrants must live, or be professionally based, in the local area (and not beyond the county boundary).
• All entrants must be 18 years and over *
* There will be an opportunity for children to show their work in their own exhibition space
1. Work must be set up no later than Friday 18 June 2010
2. All work must be original and the property of the artist entering the event
3. The number of pieces of work you can show will depend on your allocated space and the nature of your work. You will be notified.
4. Work must be clearly labelled with title, medium, name, price (or Not For Sale), contact details.
5. Artists must be responsible for installing their own work with support from the Technical Team
6. Insurance for own artwork will be the responsibility of the Artist.
7. Public Liability Insurance will be in place at each venue for the duration of the Art Week.
8. Anything hazardous and a risk to safety will not be accepted - the organisers reserve the right to make the final decision in the event of dispute.
Monday 25th January - SAW Involvement Social Gathering – 7.30pm
The Robin Hood Pub
Opportunity to meet the Teams, submit Applications, schmooze
Wednesday 27th January - SAW Involvement Social Gathering – 7.30pm
(see above for details)
Monday 8 February - Deadline for Statement of Interest Forms
submit form + images (on-line or by post)
(Diary dates are subject to revision – please watch for changes)
Finally… to help us be certain the emails and letters are reaching you please respond to the following:
If you are attending the social gatherings please email the date(s) on which you are available.
Thank you & hope to see you in January for one of the meetings.
Download this article
Download Statement of Interest Document